Thirteen Injuries I’ve Gotten from Thirteen Years of Martial Arts
1. Broken bone in my hand – I blocked a round house kick with my hand. Big mistake, and the normal fight adrenalin didn’t mask the pain.
2. Pulled hamstring – My opponent tried a single leg take down on me, and I hate, hate, hate being thrown, even onto mats. I tense up and fight the movement…and things like this happen.
3. A black eye – Kinda minor, but it’s only happened to me once. He jabbed, he crossed, I didn’t block hard enough.
4. A jammed toe – Sparring injury. I didn’t even feel it until it was all over, and I looked down at a purple toe.
5. Another jammed toe – An escape from the mount gone awry. One of the new guys didn’t realize just how much stronger than me he was. He felt very bad about it.
6-9. Multiple small tears of my left meniscus – A small pop, a small pain, a few days of swelling. Several times.
10. Partially torn left ACL – A sparring injury, and my worst martial arts related injury.
11. Sprained knee (the left one again) – My cousin tried a karate move on me. Remember what I said about hating to fall?
12. Sprained thumb – A lapel choke gone bad. My grip slipped.
13. Cracked bone in my foot – I took an elbow to the top of the foot during a speed-kicking drill; that spot was tender for almost a year.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants